Thursday, July 29, 2004

Real Life; Giant Lizards

Too much real life today; writing had to take a back seat to other stuff that had to get done.  I managed a little research for another new project, that's all.

I'm still reading the September issue of F&SF, which I think I mistakenly referred to as the August issue a few days ago.

A few weeks ago at Half Price Books I bought a boxed set of 50 "Horror Classics" on DVD.  Most of these are hardly classics, but that's all right.  Tonight we watched "The Giant Gila Monster", just your basic hot rods/rock & roll/giant lizard movie.  I don't recall ever seeing it before.  Cheaply made, with mostly bad acting and a goofy script, but pretty darned enjoyable anyway.  You probably had to be there in the Fifties to really appreciate it, though.  I was a little kid then, but I still remember the era fairly well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, those were the days. I saw all those bad movies. Did you get THE KILLER SHREWS by any chance?

James Reasoner said...

Yes, THE KILLER SHREWS is part of that boxed set. A lot of the same people who made THE GIANT GILA MONSTER were involved with it, too. I enjoy these ultra-cheap, shot-in-Texas horror films. I imagine it must have been fun to make them.