Friday, March 03, 2006

Good Stuff From All Over

Due to some really tight deadlines in December, January, and February, I had to cut back on reading some of the Yahoo groups I belong to (I'm a Yahoo groups junkie, I'm afraid). As a result, I missed announcing that the latest issue of The Black Horse Express was available on-line. It's full of interesting material for Western fans, and a new issue will be along at the end of this month.

And speaking of Black Horse Westerns, one of that line's most prolific authors, David Whitehead, has a new website that includes a fine article about the history of the British Western, along with a lot of other good reading.

Another favorite Western author of mine is Gordon D. Shirreffs, and Jim Collette advises me that he now has a website devoted to Shirreffs and his work. This is another fine site with plenty of cover scans.

This week also brought the most recent mailing from the pulp apa PEAPS, and although I haven't had a chance to do more than skim through it, it looks like the usual great collection of pulp-related fanzines. PEAPS has several openings for membership at the moment, so if you're a pulp fan and would be interested in joining, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the editor.

Lastly, today's mail included the third issue of the SF/horror/dark fantasy magazine SUBTERRANEAN (from the fine folks at the superb small press publisher Subterranean Press), with stories by Norman Partridge, Poppy Z. Brite, and Lewis Shiner, among others. I'm a little behind on this magazine, having read only the first issue not long ago, but I enjoyed it a great deal, especially the stories by Peter Crowther and Kealan Patrick Burke.

So there's a wide assortment of authors and subject matter for you, and all of it good.

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Speaking of Black Horse, I ordered a book of theirs on Amazon.UK in January that was supposed to arrive sometime in the first half of March. Today I got an e-mail saying it would be another 4-6 weeks. What, do they have medieval monks hand scribing each copy? For what I'm paying they should send it by courier on the next jet. Thanks for the chance to vent.

James Reasoner said...

I've heard that the print run on some of the Black Horse Westerns is pretty small. It may be that the one you ordered is already sold out, and I don't think they do second printings (like some of the U.S. publishers that sell primarily to the library market).