Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Simpsons Movie


I’ve been a fan of the Simpsons ever since the characters first appeared on The Tracy Ullman Show nearly twenty years ago. I think that overall THE SIMPSONS is one of the best TV series of all time, although there’s certainly been some inconsistency along the way. So it’s no surprise that I really enjoyed THE SIMPSONS MOVIE. I’ve read some criticism leveled at it because it’s too much like the TV series. Well, what else would anyone expect? The movie plays like a bigger, slightly more complicated, slightly more explicit TV episode, which is exactly what I thought it would be. And what I hoped it would be, because I laughed all the way through it.

There’s no point in talking about the plot. Homer does dumb things and gets in trouble, bizarre stuff happens, pop culture references abound, Homer does more dumb things but finally saves the day through reluctant courage and more than a little luck. Vintage Simpsons, in other words. My only quibble was the absence of Sideshow Bob. If you like the TV series, you ought to like the movie. If you hate the TV series, then of course you should avoid the movie. And as a test of that, does the line “That could be anybody’s pig crap silo!” strike you as funny? Well, there you go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, have stuck with THE SIMPSONS all these years. I hope to see the movie eventually.