Thursday, September 18, 2008

Justice League of America: The Tornado's Path - Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes

My introduction to the Justice League of America was the tenth issue of the comic book of that name, cover-dated March 1962 but published in late ’61. I bought it in the fall of 1962 at the Halloween Carnival held at the elementary school I attended at the time. Kids always donated comic books for the carnival, which were then sold for a nickel each. If I recall correctly, the issue of JLA #10 I bought was coverless, but that didn’t stop me from reading it and thoroughly enjoying the tale of DC’s leading superheroes teaming up to battle the evil sorcerer Felix Faust. I’d read comics featuring Superman and Batman before that, but that issue featured characters new to me, like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Skip ahead to a couple of years ago when DC relaunched the Justice League in a new series with ties to the old one. The first seven issues are reprinted in a volume entitled THE TORNADO’S PATH, and not only does Felix Faust make another appearance, but so do numerous other characters, mostly villains, from the early days of the JLA. It’s a very nice blending of old and new, with plenty of nods to the group’s history over the past 45+ years while still being grounded in the current DC continuity.

I stopped reading comics for long enough that I wasn’t totally familiar with some of the characters here or the relationships they have with each other, but it wasn’t difficult at all to follow what was going on. The story centers around the Red Tornado, a character that goes back in one incarnation or another all the way to the Golden Age. In this version, which I believe first appeared in the Seventies, he’s an android who wants to become fully human. He gets his wish in this story arc, but of course, things don’t work out quite the way he wanted them to.

The script is by Brad Meltzer, better known for his bestselling political thrillers, but it’s easy to tell that he’s a comics fan from ’way back. His script has plenty of action, some humor, and lots of nice touches for the geezers among us who remember those early days. I’ve read one of his novels, THE BOOK OF FATE, and liked it fairly well. It’s no surprise that he spins a pretty complex plot here. Also, the art by Ed Benes is very good. His layouts are a little tough to follow at times (a common complaint for me where modern comics artists are concerned), but I really like the way the characters looked. His versions of the JLA’s core characters – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Black Canary – warmed the heart of this old-timer. All in all, I liked this version of the JLA quite a bit. I’d recommend it to anybody who’s a fan of the DC Universe, old or new.

2 comments:

Fred Blosser said...

James, I'm afraid my geezer quotient tops yours. I remember buying the Brave & Bold #28, featuring the first appearance of the JLA -- vs. Starro the Conqueror. The cover date is March 1960, meaning that it probably came out in January 1960. That jibes with my memory of a cold gray winter Saturday. Meltzer's web page says he first read JLA in 1978 at age 8 -- whippersnapper!

David Cranmer said...

I guess I'm youngster too because the first DC comic I ever bought was '76 or '77. And I'm still at it. Just yesterday I picked up the most recent Batman Detective Comics (#847)... I'm hearing a lot of good feedback on Brad Meltzer and this sounds like a great place to start.