Monday, February 16, 2009

Iron Man

We continue catching up on movies that everybody else has already seen. IRON MAN is about half of the Best. Comic Book Movie. Ever. While the origin story in the first hour or so has been updated and the location changed from Vietnam to Afghanistan, the spirit is as close to the source material by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, and Don Heck as any movie adaptation of a comic book story I’ve ever seen, even more so than the Spider-Man movies (which set that standard until now, as far as I’m concerned). After that, as the movie begins to condense more than twenty years worth of comic book continuity into another hour’s worth of story, things get a little less focused, but it’s still pretty darned good.

A lot of that is due to the cast. Robert Downey Jr. is perfect as Tony Stark, Terrence Howard makes a good Jim Rhodes, and even though I’m not a big Gwyneth Paltrow fan, she’s fine as Pepper Potts. Jeff Bridges does a good job as the villain, although my memory is fuzzy enough on the character he plays, Obadiah Stane, that I can’t say whether his characterization matches the comic books. The script is funny in places, and there’s not much Hollywood revisionism, always a good thing.

I’ve probably told this story on here before, but Christmas Day, 1963, as we were visiting at my aunt’s house in Brownwood, two of my cousins gave me a stack of comic books they didn’t want anymore. Among them was an issue of TALES OF SUSPENSE featuring one of Iron Man’s earliest appearances. (It was TOS #42, I think, but I’m too lazy to look it up.) He was in AVENGERS #1, as well, which was also in that stack. I liked the character right away and read the Iron Man comic book for many, many years, until a couple of disastrous plot twists in the Nineties prompted me to give it up. But I’m still very fond of the character, and I’m glad this movie does him justice.

And if you haven’t seen it, be sure to wait for the little scene after the closing credits, which sets up at least one more movie to come.

11 comments:

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

Loved Iron Man for all the reasons you stated.
I actually enjoyed the latest Hulk, though not as much.
Batman Dark Knight Returns rocked.

Can't wait for Watchmen

Matthew P. Mayo said...

Hi James,
I still can't believe I haven't seen this one yet. I'll remedy that soon.

And I can't wait for a decent Captain America movie--WWII era, original costume, Bucky, Red Skull. I hope they don't blow it!

Cheers,
Matt

pattinase (abbott) said...

My one problem with it was the amount of time spent on his fashioning a costume for himself. I know it's a big deal in the world of superheroes but I'd have preferred more story and less fashion.

David Cranmer said...

I still haven't seen this movie but it sounds good. I read Iron Man all the time as a kid.

August West said...

To me, this 2008 movie was better than "The Dark Knight."
But I know I'll be in the minority stating this.

(I loved how the worked getting the orginal "gray" suit into the story)

James Reasoner said...

Yeah, including the original gray suit was just one more way the filmmakers showed respect for the source material.

Anonymous said...

I marveled at the dialogue between Downey and Paltrow, especially during the scene at the party.
Clever stuff that showed a type of attraction uncommonly seen on screen, illustrated character easily and endearingly, was sexy without being coy, and amusing without any rim-shot punchlines.
How many more 'serious' films have done that? Who would have expected it in Iron Man?
Maybe this film is not as overall impressive as The Dark Knight, but for me, it was just as enjoyable.

John Hocking

Paul D Brazill said...

I enjoyed Iron Man very much. Downey is a very funny actor,especially here. He IS Tony Stark, for me.

Anonymous said...

James, my first Marvel comic was one I found in a cabin in the Poconos when my family went there on vacation.I'd been collecting D.C. comics for a few years, but when I found Spider-Man meets The Human Torch I was hooked.

RJR

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I really enjoyed this one and I'm not a lover of super hero movies. I've been critcal of most of them - only rating Superman The Movie, Spiderman, Daredevil, Hellboy and several of the Batman movies mainly the BURTON and Nolan ones.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Oh and August welcome back - we've missed you