Saturday, June 17, 2017

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Famous Western, April 1958


This digest issue of FAMOUS WESTERN has a Norman Saunders cover, although that doesn't really jump out at me as Saunders' work. The biggest names among the contributors, at least as far as Western pulpsters are concerned, are Roe Richmond and Wade Hamilton, who was really Lee Floren. The lead novel is by E.E. Clement, a pseudonym for editor Robert A.W. Lowndes. The other novel is by Jim Mac Collister, his only credit in the Fictionmags Index. I have to wonder if he was Lowndes, too. And then there's a story by an author who probably wasn't well-known at all to Western readers of the day: Harlan Ellison. I don't know if "The End of the Time of Leinard" is his only Western, but it's a pretty good one, as I recall. It was reprinted in the anthology WESTERYEAR, edited by Ed Gorman.

2 comments:

Peter Brandvold said...

I had no idea Ellison every wrote a western. I'm going to have to look for it. I love his sy-fy/fantasy. I love this cover. Reminds me a little of the James Stewart movie, BROKEN SPUR.

Ed McBride said...

It's disconcerting that a magazine published the month that I was born looks so damn old.