Thursday, May 19, 2005

First or Third?

Person, that is. I'm enjoying THE POET, although it seems to be taking me longer to get into it than it did with the Bosch books. Also, Connelly does something in this novel that's probably my ultimate pet peeve about writing: he switches back and forth from first person to third. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. However, when the book is good enough -- and so far, THE POET is -- I don't mind the technique nearly as much. And ultimately, it's the writer's call, of course. The story needs to be told the way the writer wants to tell it.

As for my own work, I was able to stick with it all day again and got 22 pages done. Like a horse heading for a waterhole, I'm starting to smell the end of the book. Still have a ways to go, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a comment on The Poet, but I'll wait till you finish it.

Graham Powell said...

As for me, I thought that THE POET is Connelly's best book, of the ones I've read.