Friday, February 20, 2009

Forgotten Books: Anarchaos - Curt Clark (Donald E. Westlake)

Donald E. Westlake isn’t that well-known for his science fiction, but he wrote one SF novel, ANARCHAOS, published by Ace Books in 1967 under the pseudonym Curt Clark. I’ve heard this book described as “Parker in space”, and I can kind of see why people would think that. The narrator/protagonist of ANARCHAOS, Rolf Malone, shares some traits with Parker, most notably his willingness to kill quickly and efficiently when he needs to in order to accomplish his goal. Unlike Parker, though, Malone’s goal is personal: he arrives on the planet Anarchaos, where there’s no system of government and everybody is on his own (the planet’s name comes from the combination of “anarchy” and “chaos”), to find out who murdered his brother, a mining engineer who worked for one of the corporations that provide what little semblance of civilization exists there. Naturally, it becomes obvious in short order that somebody doesn’t want him to find out the truth.

From that set-up, Malone sets out on a years-long quest that finds him in danger again and again before he finally sorts out what really happened to his brother and tries to exact vengeance on the people responsible. It’s a tough, bleak book – lots of terrible things happen to Malone – and Westlake spins the yarn in his usual smooth, fast-paced prose. Pseudonym aside, I think most people who have read much of Westlake’s work would recognize who was really behind the name “Curt Clark”. (Of course, there’s also a funny little moment where Malone comments on a body of water known as West Lake.)

I enjoyed ANARCHAOS very much. Westlake’s world-building is excellent, with the physical details of the planet well thought out, leading me to think that he could have had a successful career as a science fiction writer if he’d wanted to. Even in a book like this, though, the real emphasis is on crime and suspense despite the SF setting, and it’s clear that’s where Westlake’s real tendencies were. ANARCHAOS was reprinted in 1989 by Mysterious Press in a volume entitled TOMORROW’S CRIMES, which is where I read it. That collection also includes nine of Westlake’s fantasy and science fiction short stories, which originally appeared in some of the SF digests, EQMM, and assorted other places. Not surprisingly, most of those short stories have some crime or suspense element, too. Copies of ANARCHAOS and TOMORROW’S CRIMES can both be found pretty easily and inexpensively on-line, and I highly recommend either version. (Although I’d go with TOMORROW’S CRIMES because you get the short stories, too, that way.)

15 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Definitely on my list. Thanks.

Cullen Gallagher said...

How fortuitous! My friend and I are starting a monthly Dinner + Sci-fi night tradition, and I'm definitely adding this to my list.

Fred Blosser said...

I always thought it was similar to 361, in the combination of understated, Parker-style toughness with a first-person narrator who has a personal score to settle. I wonder if Westlake also planted a pun in the character's name, Malone (=[I']m alone?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Does anyone have an exact count on how many books Westlake wrote?

Todd Mason said...

Patti-no, in part because Westlake wasn't too keen on having some of his sleaebacks attributed him.

Consider my official objection to this book--that it's the most perniciously remarkably wrongheaded indictment of anarchist philosophers not published by a slavish Marxist nor fascist--as made. I liked everything in TOMORROW'S CRIMES better, particularly "Nackles."

Todd Mason said...

That would be "sleazebacks" and everything else in TC.

James Reasoner said...

Todd,

"Nackles" is a great story, probably my favorite in the whole collection.

Juri said...

Todd,

I'm sure there are more hostile accounts of anarchist philosophy around. (Haven't read ANARCHAOS, though.)

Word Up: wepub. We pub?

Todd Mason said...

Juri--

I'm not kidding. Westlake's take on anarchism is truly berserk and hate-filled.

mybillcrider said...

I like this one, too, James. Read it years ago. I know some people don't like it, but it worked fine for me.

OlmanFeelyus said...

Easy to find? Wow. I'm going to have to look harder because I've been trying to hunt this one down for years. I'm glad you gave it such a positive review, because it makes me more motivated to check it out. I was sort of lukewarm before, keeping an eye out for it for completist purposes. Thanks!

James Reasoner said...

There are numerous copies of both ANARCHAOS and TOMORROW'S CRIMES listed on ABE that can be had for less then ten bucks, including shipping. But I know what you mean, because I don't think I've ever seen a copy of ANARCHAOS in a regular used bookstore.

Todd Mason said...

...and I suppose I should add that I have problem with it as a work of fiction-writer's craft. It's just that its premise lies so outrageously about anarchism and anarchists...which makes even less sense coming from the man who would write the basically pro-anarchist story "The Winner" a few years later (the first Westlake story I read, as a child, and also included in TOMORROW'S CRIMES). You can trust Westlake in ANARCHAOS about what anarchism is about as far as you can trust Peckinpah to outline feminine psychology.

Todd Mason said...

"I have no problem with it" is what I meant to type...

Triquii said...

Meh. stumbled on this and wish I hadn't - have liked a few things DEW has written but this exposes a deeply depressing vein in his fiction along with Killy. What could have been an interesting exploration of the consequences of anarchy was mainly another paen to a lead character who's principal characteristic is that they just go round killing people. If it was purely fantastic it would be okay, but the effort to make Malone real just makes the exercise depressing. And the ending **SPOILER** is so trite he clearly go bored and wrapped it up with a 'hey then he kills everyone and goes home'. Ho hum.I can see why he'd want to disown it.