Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Million Words and Counting


Yes, I know I kept saying I planned to slow down a little this year. And my writing pace did fall off, enough so that for most of the year I was convinced there was no way I'd get that million words again.

But then I realized that with a really good December, the million was in reach, so I couldn't just turn my back on that. I had to try for it, especially since I've committed to writing enough books in the next two years that I'll be right around a million words for those years as well. So why break the streak now?

In the end it was pretty close, but earlier today I hit the million word mark for the year. That's 11 consecutive years, something I never would have thought I was capable of. If I actually do achieve that goal the next two years, that'll be 13 straight, and I'm much too superstititous to leave it at that, so I'll have to try for 14 straight, and if you're going to do that, hell, you might as well go for 15.

Clearly, it's a sickness. But not necessarily a bad one to have . . .

(I realize this post sounds like I'm bragging. Honestly, I'm not. I'm not foolish enough to think that a million words is an insignificant achievement even once, let alone 11 years in a row. I'm certainly proud of it. But this is just what I do, a niche that I've carved out for myself. As Walker Martin commented on a post a few days ago, I'm a pulp writer even though there aren't any real pulps anymore. If that's the way I'm remembered, I'm fine with that.)

10 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Congrats on hitting the mark yet again. You're an inspiration to us all.

Neil A. Waring said...

Great job, I am jealous, that is a terrific accomplishment - and 11 years in a row.

jhegenbe said...

I sold that many words, but as a writer, I'm only a quarter-reasoner. Congrats, Pappy.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Stop making the rest of us look bad, uh, I mean congratulations. That's impressive. Keep up the writing. There's clearly a market for pup in whatever form it takes these days.

Scott said...

Congrats

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Many congratulations!

Rick Ollerman said...

Good on you, James. I hope you do keep it going. What a wonderful thing to be able to say you've done.

Ed Gorman said...

I got worn out just reading your post. :) Congratulations, James. Ed

Peter Brandvold said...

Many congrats once again, James! I hit around 700k. That's about as good as I think I'll ever be able to do. But that's okay. You're da man. Happy New Year!

Mean Pete

Jerry House said...

My kids firmly believe that I reached a million swear words that time I hit my thumb with a hammer back in '78. (Not anywhere near as impressive as your record, I know, since my words were far more repetitive than entertaining.) Congrats on this awesome achievement, James! I'm looking forward to many more millions of words from you in the future.